Copyright

© All images and text remain the property of the authors.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Are You a Cyber-Savvy Writer?

Writers are by nature people who live inside their own heads. It's a very comfortable place to hang out. You can imagine all things are possible and you don't have to talk to anyone. I have the writer's studio in my head nicely furnished with everything I could want, including a cozy fireplace and a bottomless cup of java.

However, if you are serious about your writing business you're going to have come out of that room sometime and TALK to somebody. Doing this face to face may seem daunting (I sure think it is), so I'm offering a way to ease into this whole networking thing without breaking a sweat. Oh yeah, now I've got your attention.

The title of this piece poses a question to which most of us would reply in the affirmative. After all, we e-mail our friends and business associates, Google for information, read blogs (perhaps even follow some), and Amazon is our favorite marketplace. That's great, but lurking does not a network make. Can you honestly say you post regularly?

I personally love the idea of online networking. I have a full-time job, a family, and I'm working to build a writing business. I don't have time to go hang out in a coffee shop and chit-chat. I need to be selective about how I use my valuable networking time. The other advantage of networking with people online is that I can not only laser-focus on topics of interest to me, but I gain access to resources (experts) all over the country and the world. That's the beauty of the web; the global village is rife with opportunity.

This is the challenge I have posed for myself: find five online writers networks or groups that cover topics of interest to me, join them and take an active part in the discussions. That's right; I have to join the dialogue.

And lucky you, you get to follow my progress through the course of this year. Win or lose, I'll share my experiences with you. I am hoping that the irresistible lure of your innate curiosity will lead you to check out some of the resources I locate, take advantage of them and prosper. Join me in exploring the online writer's community and let's see what riches we may find.

Just Think Differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment