Copyright

© All images and text remain the property of the authors.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Free Your Mind and Free the World

I am a slave. I bind myself with the chains of my own limited perspective.

I am not alone, accompanied by millions of other souls who live without questioning the validity of living in a box. This is not to suggest that I’m happy here. I wail and bitch and moan about it, commiserate with other sufferers as we nod our heads sagely about the unfairness of it all. We argue for our right to freedom, holding it up as a sparkling treasure just beyond our reach. Exclaiming that we would do such wonderful things were we able to break our chains, we indulge in fantasies of fame, wealth, health, and success. We fail to achieve these things because our merciless captors hold us back. It is no fault of our own. No, of course not. Pity.

Trouble is, I’ve turned and looked for that jailer only to find that she bears a remarkable resemblance to me. And is that a key I see on the table in front of me? All I must do is pick it up, turn it in the lock and the door will swing open. Stretching before me is the marvelous vista of all the possibilities I could pursue. It’s not that I’m not willing to go for it. In fact, it’s a tremendous surprise that I missed seeing it in the first place.

What is this key, anyway? How did I miss it?

I could give a hundred reasons and they would sound like a mix of blame and denial. There are plenty of pop-psychologists with unflattering opinions and religious zealots out there ready to beat us for our “sins.” I prefer to take a kinder, gentler road. That was then, this is now. Then I didn’t see it, now I do. My door is open and I’m moving on. Let go of the past, baby. The only thing you have to work with is today. Yesterday is out of reach and fading fast.

When things are looking grim, open your eyes and your mind. Take notice of that shiny thing sitting in front of you. Pick it up and look it over. Then ask yourself the kindest thing you can about the corner you’ve painted for yourself: is it real? Is there another way to look at this thing? How bad could it be to get a little paint on your shoe on the way to your goal?

Take some steps. Just Think Differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment